"..Insomnia is one of the symptom for depression," shrieked

At some point during my university year, I was so afraid that I was in a state of depression as I was crying so much and having minor insomnia problem. (NO, not PMS, I checked!). I could just lay on my bed with eyes pierced to the night sky, restless, unable to sleep and felt the urges to run to Chadstone, quite far from my apartment (Pakubuwono to Thamrin I guess?). Although I never did it.

Being ever so resourceful, I even googled to find out what are the symptoms of depression. Oh yes, few of it suit me very well. I told one of my ‘closest’ friend then how my feelings were a like to people who are depressed, he/she replied, “So what?” Not a sort of reply I would expect but it shook me off back to reality. I stopped thinking about me being depressed (well, not stopped but I restrained myself). I hold myself to think that this world revolves around ‘me’.

Up until now, I could only guess what has driven me being so~ diabolical. I think it has something to do with my low resistance level to pressure and the crazy competitive streak I have buried under my calm exterior. (Ha!). But of course I’m no doctor. Nor I am God.

Anyway, this subject of depression is a bit tricky. People from different stream of knowledge have different opinion on how to handle the depression. Counseling and drugs treatment are two of the main ‘medicine’ choice.

Thus my opinion is a bit subjective: I prefer sharing and writing.
Admit that something bothering you up also help.
And it is not uncommon: it happens at least to two girls I spoke to in the past few days. So it's not like you're crazy.
BUT self-restrain is important, don't let the 'depression' or the 'emotional' state allows us to take pity on ourselves. So I guess switching our attention from ourselves to others in need, is one of the way.

Of course, this is my take. Meanwhile some cases are just need special attention; so I'll let it up to people who are entitled to it.

Anyway, this talk about depression makes me miss my Melbourne so much. Urm.



[Photo 3+4 courtesy of Mr. Kurkur]

1 comment:

PrincessPrim said...

When in depression, face ur fear. Open the wound, dont cover them or try to numb urself against the pain by distracting urself away from it (i.e. Eating desserts excessively, cry urself to sleep, watch tearjerking chickflick). Instead go out, confront ur fear. It'll be hurtful for a while but just like a wound that is not being covered, it'll dry faster.

I was on a state of depression less than a year ago and that was how i manage to get trough it all hehee ;)

Btw lyd a senior told me that this weird sickness of mine is most likely caused by depression. What? I hv been this happy go lucky type of gal lately, masakk sihh bisa depresi? Hihiii

Anyway, luv ur writing as always :)