feeling nationalistic

OK- weekend and all I could ponder upon is the disturbing conversation I had during the Independence Day with an Aussie co-worker! Oh well.

We were in the car back from any one of the meeting when the sudden interest of our conversation was Independence Day activities (it was around the time). I did my best - trust me- in explaining what we usually do during the day. I guess if you are going to any school during the 1960-90s you'd remember something along the line with panjat pinang, tarik tambang, makan kerupuk etc (I'll translate if I have time). And this is after an hour long ceremony under the early morning sun.

It was interesting that he (he's circa 30 years of age) said that the spirit of celebration is no longer within the young in Aussie (meaning it includes him and probably his parent). He suggests similar activities to the State's 4th of July event, yet Australia style. Picking up beers, doing barbie (BBQ for those in other english speaking country) and obviously no ceremonial stuff.

We had put some thought on it - well, we are analysts anyway - and I came into conclusion that while Indonesia had good 62 years of hard-earned Independence, the Australia National Day is the day when the people commemorating the establishment of the first British settlement on the continent of Australia (26 Jan/Wikipedia). So- it's quite different from Indonesia 350 years + 3.5 years of colonization where people are become more desperate for Independence.

It's getting pity though, as I ponder further that the older generation who lived during the war are now depleting in number. It is the generation of my grand father who fought in Java deep villages against Dutch. It is the generation of my grand mother who nurses for these fighters. Our parents may be the one face the beginning of freedom, yet the days they were raised were not the most stable days with most of revolution etc.

While us - we were born with the prevelage of freedom. We get the luxury of not having to fight to be number one resident in own country. The luxury to dream as high because we can and no other people can say otherwise. I just wonder when will the generation will stop appreciate all this because guess what, they will no longer meet people who fight for their freedom.

I'm truly grateful I got to know my grand parents generation who tell the most amusing stories. They are part of the history (and I'm not a fan of the subject) and I respect them for pursuing freedom their descendant should appreciate. Will my grandchildren celebrate Independence with beers and barbie?

I pray they won't.


No comments: