I was a mere rookie in my previous company and was only working for one full year when few analysts from the ASEAN team and I got a chance to go for a marketing trip in Singapore. I thought then, with my very positive mindset, how hard can it be to convince these people to invest in Indonesia’s “X” industry? It is such an investment heaven!
Right, I was so freaking naïve.
I realized after few meetings that Indonesia’s slot was set aside to the end of each meeting. When they were nice, they’d say, “We’re saving the best for last.” Even I couldn’t believe that. And sometime I could just sat there in the fancy meeting room listening at each country making their presentations until the time was up. Or if there was still enough time I have to rush through my presentation so they could have Q&A session. Thank you very much.
I got so self-conscious that I asked my senior what I had done wrong. Did I look too nervous, too young, too inexperience? (Well, I did back then so he said so).
My senior was a 40s Singaporean uncle who always take pleasure in having a cigarette break in between our meetings. “But here's the fact, no body really knows Indonesia, especially these young fund managers. The market is too small for them to care. They just don't have enough information to make something out of it. Granted, they are more positive than their seniors who were in the industry during 1997/98 crisis. But their view on Indonesia is guarded by the foreign media who is not particularly fond of your country, dear. So it is your job to teach them.” He smiled. Puff. Puff.
And this was early 2008, before recession really hit Asia.
Why such skepticism? Why does Indonesia is being punished so badly? Are we such an easy scapegoat? I kept asking.
Going into my third year in the industry, it is pretty clear how very negative foreigner could view Indonesia; particularly during hard time such this. Most are preventing themselves to invest in Indonesia with excuses that our Government has rotten systemic and regulation problem, which is undeniable true, and that was the main reason for them to drive away to a safer haven.
We couldn’t blame them though; many of them were screwed over by Indonesia’s unfailing bad corporate governance during the crisis 10 years ago. And just like a broken heart, you could always forgive, but never forget.
But if we jump into the skepticism boat as well, who'd defend this country? Well, it is not always rainbow and sweet things. But could it be us that given away the impression that this country really not worth living? And if not us, who else could give a balance view about this country?
Right, I was so freaking naïve.
I realized after few meetings that Indonesia’s slot was set aside to the end of each meeting. When they were nice, they’d say, “We’re saving the best for last.” Even I couldn’t believe that. And sometime I could just sat there in the fancy meeting room listening at each country making their presentations until the time was up. Or if there was still enough time I have to rush through my presentation so they could have Q&A session. Thank you very much.
I got so self-conscious that I asked my senior what I had done wrong. Did I look too nervous, too young, too inexperience? (Well, I did back then so he said so).
My senior was a 40s Singaporean uncle who always take pleasure in having a cigarette break in between our meetings. “But here's the fact, no body really knows Indonesia, especially these young fund managers. The market is too small for them to care. They just don't have enough information to make something out of it. Granted, they are more positive than their seniors who were in the industry during 1997/98 crisis. But their view on Indonesia is guarded by the foreign media who is not particularly fond of your country, dear. So it is your job to teach them.” He smiled. Puff. Puff.
And this was early 2008, before recession really hit Asia.
Why such skepticism? Why does Indonesia is being punished so badly? Are we such an easy scapegoat? I kept asking.
Going into my third year in the industry, it is pretty clear how very negative foreigner could view Indonesia; particularly during hard time such this. Most are preventing themselves to invest in Indonesia with excuses that our Government has rotten systemic and regulation problem, which is undeniable true, and that was the main reason for them to drive away to a safer haven.
We couldn’t blame them though; many of them were screwed over by Indonesia’s unfailing bad corporate governance during the crisis 10 years ago. And just like a broken heart, you could always forgive, but never forget.
But if we jump into the skepticism boat as well, who'd defend this country? Well, it is not always rainbow and sweet things. But could it be us that given away the impression that this country really not worth living? And if not us, who else could give a balance view about this country?

1 comment:
I am advising client one day on forest borrow and use permit and found out that every regional government can give different permits to different companies without any standard requirements or consideration. When i reported this to my foreign counsel senior, he smiled bitterly and then said "Indonesian.."
The Government is giving freedom to regional leaders in establishing their own regulations which at the end of the day caused severe legal uncertainty. And that's because the system and human resources are not ready to undertake such a big responsibillities on drafting regulations and enforcing them properly. And what's the result? Yes, bad governance.
Too bad we just hv to live with that.
Post a Comment