I can't even speak proper BAHASA

so much for a nationalist wannabe, huh!?

I had an interview today with Stock Exchange watchdog to get my working license and I sort of bombed it to the ground and leaving with destroyed dignity *...*

So there were three gentlemen interviewing me about this broker/dealer related rules. It started off pretty alright with general question and what-not. Then, they started to ask me about the rules. NOT the rules that I don't know, but the thing is, I don't know what on earth they are talking about.

In my defense, I studied capital market overseas and I hate to say this but I am freaking unfamiliar with the jargon here. And badly enough, I started to think in English, translating their question to Bahasa then thinking about the rules, trying to explain it to myself in English and tried to speak in Bahasa. Confused. Just like overused laptop of mine, my mind crash. Blank. So.......in the middle of the interview I just give up.

Thankfully the gentlemen were quite nice. They weren't scolding at me and later told me that I could take another test (written one thank God) because.. I don't know why, actually.

But really, what's up with my Bahasa? I am alright with the Bahasa pergaulan and could speak fast enough that people won't think I'm dumb bimbo. But full EYD? Nada. Another plan plan plan!

Anyway, talking about watchdog and language, I remember one of the 'joke' that my 'bule' ex-boss used to tell during a party with Indonesian.

"Do you know that dog is the only animal that speaks two languages?" He asked.
Me: "Ummmm.."
"What sound a dog makes here (in Jakarta)?"
Me (stupidly): "Guk guk?"
"In Australia it said, woof woof." He smiled widely.
Me: "Ah!" Awkwardly.

So smart, ey?

3 comments:

PrincessPrim said...

Ok to make it even more ironic, i'll write down comment in Bahasa:

Temen gw di firm tiba2 pernah bikin geng kroco cubicle heboh gara2 menurut dia, dia nggak bisa lagi nulis email dan advice in Bahasa huahahaaa sounds belagu tapi kalau kita aja yg di Indonesia tapi kerja di firm/company yg adalah multinational company (sehingga harus menggunakan bahasa inggris sbg standard setiap hari) merasa kesulitan untuk bikin korespondensi plus drafting dokumen in Bahasa, apalagi lo yg menghabiskan masa kuliah lo di english speaking country yahh?

Ngerti nggak maksud gw? Hahhahahahaaaaa :) lol

redeemed said...

ah.. you can do it, dun be discouraged, from now on learn the terminology in Indonesian ya ^^

z i e said...

Haha.. ngerti bo'

Btw, maybe I have to make it clear that while I'm not familiar with the jargons the difficulty is that the ambiguous question that they asked due to the language.

Hmm, like, you must know it very well but our Bahasa could strech out the number of words that could be merely one word in English.

So in order for me to digest what they are asking really took me, literally, several minutes. Haha. And I did look so stupid repeating what they are asking out loud, Perbedaan "Wakil Perantara Pedagang Efek" and "Perantara Pedagang Efek". It is freaking "Broker" right?

Good idea for us to start using proper Bahasa in speaking. Mwahahah