I am reading 'Outliers: Story of success' by Malcolm Caldwell.
One of his theories (the one in the earlier pages) is that how practices ARE the fundamental of your success. He suggests that the threshold for creating a masterpiece (in any sort of field: being a programmer, doctor, pilot, WRITER!) is an intense experience of 10,000 hours.
So, no intense writing for me. My experience with writings are more.. personal like:
I remember start writing "mispronounced-no ending stories" in English back when I was in the fourth/fifth grade. Oh, and the 'class newspaper' me and my fellow blogger here, DN, did when we were in the fourth grade. I was religiously writing my diaries (still have them. as a proof.) since I asked my mom for a diary back in the fourth grade. OK. Let's say fourth grade I started writing and my diaries last until I was grade 8. (1,000hrs).
Then I wrote a few short stories here and there from grade 8 to 12. (2,000hrs ~assume 2hrs writing per day on average)
Uni~ the most fruitless time of my life (at least the first half of it) I rarely write except the management/marketing assignments. (1,500hrs)
Work. Me and my research reports. Where I spent at least 5 hours per day trying to write something out of my butt (3,470hrs).
Goodness. I'm still 2,000hrs short from my 'masterpiece'!
Do you have any passion that you're working hardly on (design, drama, agriculture, finance~ maybe just maybe, drawing, speaking, programming, music)?
Now, have you done it for 10,000hrs or more?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
10,000 hrs?
Geez..that's a lot. As far as i can remember, the most productive writing era was my gossip-columnist day in fourth grade. Even my journalism day in hukumonline would have to be satisfy in second rank hahahahhahaaaa :)
You'll get there lyd. That 10,000 hrs :)
10,000 hours...
assuming 8 hours a day you do the thing, monday to sunday.. then it would be like 3 years 5 months... if you do break on saturday and sunday then it would be like 4 years 10 months...
if you are quite obsessed, 12 hours a day, mon - sun, it took 2 years 4 months.. or if you want to get there faster, 16 hours a day, mon to sun, only took 1 year 9 months... which one you would like to choose?
davina haha.. you called the negative use of 'kertas ulangan' the most productive writing era? huhuh.. I didnt know you're writing for an online paper, dear! that's pretty cool :)
vit, depend on what sort of life balance you want to have with your girlfriend hihihihihi
10,000 hours..
means 417 days..
it's about a year 1 month and 3 weeks..
"it's been a hard days night.."
"and I've been working, like a log.."
huehuehehehe....
Well i did, sweetie. Back in college. It was an internship and i got to interviewed important ppl and it was cool! hihihii once in a while, in these corporate slavery days of mine, aku berpikir untuk resign tiba2 dan kembali ke situ but no, my Kate Spade addiction just wont allow that to happen in a million years hihihiii
haha.. maybe you need to change addiction dhy. Goodness, how much money are you making these days? Guess recession is a good time for lawyers huh, lots of lawsuit and all? No wonder you've been working like this :)
fel, if we follow the 1yr sthing, then we dont eat and sleep. We like that, you know that? ^^ Anyway, you're well on it with the design and everything. Oh, there's a logo design contest for a radio station hehe, are you in it? Let's just keep on encouraging each other with God given passion of ours hihi
Post a Comment