
What is it with today's woman and the importance of being financially independent?
Anyway, I come to think about this because I had arguments this afternoon with the man I spent the last five years with (had to admit that despite whatever, we are very young and this whole grown up things are new to us. At least it has increasingly becoming important in the past one or so year) about me and my careers.
I have an interesting career, it pays well, I sort of interested in it, and it pays well. Basically, the energy wasted are equally repaid. Anyway, in time of boredom I usually tell my man that I want to quit and get married and raised seven kids. He loves this idea because my man is apparently very traditional minded. But of course I was just bored/stressed. I mean who loves banking?
Anyway, we fought over this a LOT because I want to spend my time in the next few years taking up certificate for 'being a good analyst'. He keeps on telling me that I could do whatever I want, but why do something I don't like?
(Again, who likes banking? Maybe the person who create the system loves it, but 99% of the workforce would be in it to get some money on the process.)
And then it occurs to me today that it is possible that my strong argument was because I don't believe that he could provide for me the way I could provide myself so far. I just love being financially independent, no need to worry about asking people for money and giving a reason to buy stuff. That's the major concern if I ever has to give up this career I guess~ Being boneless
Let me start with some background check: I am an Asian young lady born circa 80s. I was brought up mainly in private school believing that girls are much smarter than boys and that, us, woman could conquer the world. Then I went to uni overseas where equality is more than just a word. I was single most of my life, although in the past five years I've been together with one man, I was brought up thinking that I will have to be independent.
On the contrary, leaving the careers behind is just a temptation because ~who doesn't want to be taken care of? Which young lady doesn't want to be able to spend days with nicest things and no longer need to be political in the office? No need to prove yourself (all done during the courtship hey). No appraisal. You could do ANYTHING you'll like. Who doesn't want all of the above?
Maybe, I just don't want to be under any man authority. (I know.. that's terrible. Isn't it?) Am I too selfish? Am I too greedy? Am I making the worst decision for keeping my career?
So really, what's wrong with modern woman and the need to be financially independent?
You know what, thanks to consumerism crap thrown at me (and tons of cute and fun dresses and my soft spot to glossy magazine and books), I would never reach into conclusion.

4 comments:
Honey, money can't buy happiness. But it sure can help us enhances our ability to become a happier person. That's what Audrey Hepburn said, which is very true.
We were in the same high school, which i think s quiet influential in forming the present version of us. Having money of my own gives me the feeling of security, thinking that i dont have to be responsible to anyone in spending the cash, also no obligation to be committed to anyone.
After all, at the end of the day, the only thing we have is ourself.
XOXO
*Davv*
Ps: I LUV the movie!! hihii
Hihi.. I knew I heard it somewhere!
Honestly, gw ketiduran ntn BAT.. I have nothing against it though :) I LOVE the setting and I want to go back to NY one day :)
But I just can't figure out what to make out of Holly G. She's just keep on jumping around~ guess i know WHY you love it hehe..
My man didn't forbid me to work or not to work. Is it a good sign or bad sign? Maybe he will terrified if i'm a housewife who like to shop everything I can! hhahahaha...
haha.. well I can't answer straight haha.. maybe good maybe not, but i'd like to have that sort of choice heaehae~ complaining again
Post a Comment